A Nurse practitioner is an advanced practice professional who specializes in a certain field of care such as psychiatry, pediatrics, family practice or women’s health. They are state licensed through the Florida Board of Nursing and hold a doctoral degree in nursing (DNP).
The AACN has stated from this year onward all programs must be delivered at the doctoral degree level, whereas in the past a masters degree was all that was required. Those hoping to become Nurse Practitioners in Florida must have a bachelor’s degree and relevant experience before completing the program.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) expect a 34% growth in this area between now and 2022 and NP’s in Florida can expect to earn a very good salary. Have a look at the figures for a Nurse Practitioner salary in Florida here.
Steps Required to become a NP in Florida:
Candidates must hold a registered nurse license at bachelor degree level. As the requirements for holding a DNP are new this year some schools are offering a BSN to DNP program. However, most students will find they need to complete a master’s before doing the DNP. All degrees must be accredited by either ACEN (The American Association of Nurse Practitioners ) or CCNE(Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education).
Have a national certification for Nurse Practitioners.
Nurse Practitioners must be licensed through the Florida Board of Nursing. NP’s in Florida can write prescriptions but cannot prescribe controlled substances.
You will be licensed as an Advanced Registration Nurse Practitioner (ARNP) and this license will state which area you specialize in.
You must renew your license every two years but this can be completed online.
Best Rated Nurse Practitioner Programs in Florida
11300 NE 2nd Avenue, Miami Shores, FL 33161-6695
- Barry offer quite a few DNP programs including
- Post Baccalaureate DNP /Adult-Gerontology Acute Care, Nurse Practitioner
You can expect to gain extensive clinical practice during your 1000 hour requirement during your residency program. You will learn how to develop, implement and evaluate a doctoral project allowing you to meet AACN requirements.
Other programs at Barry are:
- Post-Baccalaureate Doctor of Nursing Practice in Anesthesiology
- Post-Baccalaureate, DNP Family Practice, Nurse Practitioner
- Doctorate in Nursing Practice
- Post-Master’s DNP (online)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) with a specialization in Anesthesiology (online)
Florida Southern College
111 Lake Hollingsworth Drive, Lakeland, FL 33801
Graduate Certificate Programs include these campus based courses:
- Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- MSN Programs
- Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS)
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (ANP)
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)
University of South Florida
4202 E. Fowler Avenue,Tampa, FL 33620
USF offer an extensive range of Nurse Practitioner specialty programs at the doctoral level and are campus based. These include:
- BS-DNP Adult-Gerontology Acute Care
- BS-DNP Adult-Gerontology Primary Care
- BS-DNP Dual Occupational Health/Adult-Gerontology Primary Care
- BS-DNP Dual Oncology/Adult-Gerontology Primary Care
- BS-DNP Family Health
- BS-DNP Pediatric Health
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University
1601 S. Martin L. King Jr. Blvd., Tallahassee, FL 32307
Programs available at FAMU are:
- Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner
- Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner
Florida Atlantic University
777 Glades Road,Boca Raton, FL 33431
Some of the courses available are:
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Adult/Gerontological Nurse Practitioner
- DNP Doctor of Nursing Practice
- BSN to DNP
I have concentrated on campus based courses for NP training but there are also a wide range of programs available online. Many people combine working with training to become a nurse practitioner – usually this suits those already working in a nursing job. Take time to consider your options …. it is a big commitment!
Check out some of our detailed resources for Florida nursing :
The Best Nursing Schools in Florida – gives a good starting place for anyone considering nursing as a career. Check back often as we add new information regularly.
The Best Hospitals in Florida – another useful article both for patients and nurses considering their career options in Florida.
Check back again soon as we add more information to the Nurse Salary Guide!